Addiction can wreak havoc in the life of the addict and on the lives of those who care about him or her. Someone with both a sex addiction and drug addiction will find that his or her life is out of control.
The First Steps to Sex and Drug Addiction Recovery
One of the first steps of the sex addiction recovery process is to understand the causes of sex addiction and what the symptoms of sex addiction are. By understanding more about your addictions, you will be in a better position to recover from them. The reasons that a sex addiction develops are personal and can vary from person to person, but some of the causes of sex addiction may include the following:
- Poor parenting that may have included a lack of sufficient love and nurturing
- Extreme stress and an inability to cope effectively
- Sexual abuse or exposure to sexual influences at too early of an age
- Inability to connect emotionally in a healthy manner
- A need to feel control over an aspect of life that may otherwise be out of control
The symptoms of sex addiction, much like the causes, can vary greatly between individual and may include the following:
- Extramarital affairs
- Numerous one night stands and anonymous partners
- Partaking in increasingly risky sexual behavior including paying for prostitutes
- Extreme use of online adult materials and videos
- Voyeurism and exhibitionism
- Excessive self-stimulation
- Escalating behavior that may include stalking and assault
Receiving professional sex addiction treatment is often the only way that a person who is struggling with this type of addiction can find a sense of relief from self-destructive behaviors. If the addict is living with both sex addiction and drug addiction, it is absolutely crucial that he or she get professional help for sex addiction and for the drug addiction before his or her life is put into very real danger.
Getting Professional Help for Sex Addiction and Drug Addiction
Getting professional treatment for both sex and drug addiction can help you or your loved one regain control of life. Remember that the risks of contracting a STD, getting hurt by an anonymous partner or experiencing an accidental overdose are very real possibilities with these types of self-destructive behavior. Addiction rehab facilities will treat more than the outward symptoms of addiction. Recovery professionals will work to gain an understanding of the underlying emotional and mental health factors that are contributing to complex addictions. Call our toll-free addiction helpline, and speak in compete confidence with one of our compassionate and nonjudgmental counselors. Our counselors will guide you to the best rehab solutions for the addictions that are plaguing your life.