What Causes Sex Addiction?
A sex addiction is, like other addictions, a serious and life-altering condition that requires extensive treatment. Sex addiction treatment can bring a series of challenges that include determining the root cause for the addictive behaviors. By closely examining the causes of the addiction and some of the symptoms of sex addiction, you will be better able to fully embrace sex addiction recovery.
The Causes of Sex Addiction
A common misconception about sex addiction is that is it all about the physical act. While those with a sex addiction may be participating in an unreasonable amount of sex, the reality is that they are unlikely to actually enjoy it or experience much in the way of fulfillment from it. Every person’s experience is different, and every sex addiction has different causes and effects. The following are some common causes of sex addiction, but this list cannot be all-inclusive:
- Emotional and mental issues related to depression, loneliness and anxiety
- Chronic anxiety
- Mood disorders such as depression or bipolar disorder
- Past physical abuse
- Past sexual abuse
- Emotional and mental abuse
- Abandonment issues
- An inability to form relationships and connect with others using healthy methods
Symptoms of Sex Addiction
The symptoms of a sex addiction can vary greatly between those struggling with their own addiction, so the following are just a few common signs and symptoms:
- Seeking out anonymous and multiple sexual partners
- One night stands often with anonymous partners
- Compulsive and excessive self-stimulation
- Unsafe sex practices
- Paying or accepting payment for sexual acts
- Compulsive and excessive viewing of pornographic materials
- Intense feelings of shame, guilt and regret after sex
- Withdrawing from events that are social or work-related in order to spend more time seeking out new partners
The majority of addictions are progressive. This means that unless proper help is sought out, the addiction is going to keep on escalating to new and potentially life-threatening levels.
Getting Sex Addiction Help
If you or someone you love is struggling with an addiction to sex, there is no time like the present to get help. Call our sex addiction helpline to speak confidentially with our understanding and nonjudgmental counselors. Working with our counselors will help you to locate the ideal sex addiction rehab program, and we can even help you receive coverage for treatment through your insurance provider. Without professional help for sex addiction life will continue feeling wildly out of control. We are here to offer quality sex addiction treatment so that you can regain control of your life.
Post a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.