How to Approach Sex Addiction Treatment
Sex addiction is a psychological disorder that can cause significant shame, secrecy and personal frustration. If left untreated, sex addiction can lead to a number of negative side effects, including the following:
- Destruction of important relationships
- Physical health risks due to increasingly dangerous sexual activity
- Sexually transmitted disease
- Self-medication through substance abuse
- Chemical dependency
Even though sex addiction treatment can offer patients freedom from this psychological disorder, many addicts continue to avoid seeking the help that they need.
How a Sex Addiction Can Develop
Sex causes one’s brain to release hormones and chemicals such as endorphins that can cause relational bonding, personal comfort and relaxation. Within the structure of a committed relationship, these chemical reactions can help build interpersonal connections. When the brain releases these chemicals as a result of casual sex, pornography use or frequent masturbation, those bonding chemicals lead to reinforcement of these destructive habits instead. In some cases, the development of compulsive sexual behaviors may be caused by genetic predispositions or by exposure to sexual abuse or activity at a young age.
How Sex Addiction Treatment Works
Treatment for sex addiction is often similar to treatment for a chemical drug dependency. Most effective rehabilitation programs develop customized plans for each individual patient based on his or her particular needs. Treatment plans often utilize a number of therapies, including the following:
- Detoxification from the endorphin addiction by ceasing all sexual activity
- Accountability to help prevent sexual activity from recurring
- Individual and group counseling to help patients understand the causes and triggers of the disease
- Introduction to healthy activities, diversions and coping skills
- Identification and treatment of any co-occurring emotional disorders that may be contributing to the addiction
- Strategic preparation for life after exiting treatment, including aftercare counseling and ongoing accountability and support
Finding Help for Sex Addiction
If you or someone you love is struggling with sex addiction, please call our confidential toll-free helpline now. Our counselors are available 24 hours a day to answer any questions you may have about identifying and treating sex addiction. We can help you determine the best way to reestablish healthy sexual patterns in your life. Professional sex addiction therapy can give you the opportunity for lasting freedom, repaired relationships and the restoration of self-respect and personal peace. We are here to help. Please call now.
Post a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.