Becoming Addicted to Sex after Being Addicted to Drugs
Recovering from a drug addiction is a great accomplishment, but if you didn’t receive adequate therapy during your recovery process, you may find that you are gradually replacing one addiction with another. Addiction replacement is frequently seen in those who failed to successfully understand and move on from their former addiction. Addiction is not always about the high, as it is often about the routine and the addictive behaviors. If you are now struggling with sex addiction and drug addiction is in your history, it is vital that you reach out for quality sex addiction treatment before your sexual addiction progresses.
The Causes of Sex Addiction
The causes of any addiction vary greatly. However when it comes to a sexual addiction the causes can be very distinct. Some of these may include the following:
- Untreated anxiety or depression
- Mood disorders such as bipolar disorder
- Sexual assault as an adult or as a child
- Emotional and mental abuse as a child
- Chronic loneliness or a desire to numb painful feelings
- A lack of positive adult role models throughout your childhood
- A lack of love, affection and learning healthy methods of intimacy
- Inappropriately early exposure to sexual activity and materials
- An inability to connect emotionally with others in a healthy and productive manner
- A strong desire to be in control of at least one aspect of a life that otherwise feels overly out of control
Signs and Symptoms of Sex Addiction
The symptoms of sex addiction are similar to the symptoms of other types of addiction. While there are a few obvious differences, the behaviors are very much alike. Some of these will include the following:
- Obsessing over the addiction and getting anxious when there are long delays between being able to indulge
- Spending excessive amounts of money on the addiction
- Running into severe financial problems as a result of irresponsible spending
- Neglecting work responsibilities in lieu of spending time indulging in the addiction
- Getting into arguments with family members over the addiction
- Getting skilled at hiding the addictive behavior
- Taking increasing risks to maintain the high first felt with the addiction
Unless you receive professional help for sex addiction, there is the chance that your sexual addiction will progress, while your drug addictions slowly make a reappearance in your life.
Get Professional Sex Addiction Treatment
A sex addiction recovery program will help you address the underlying causes of sex addiction so that you can move forward with your life, and a sex addiction rehab program will help you learn healthier behaviors when faced with addiction triggers. Call our toll-free helpline to find out more about quality help for sex addiction. Our counselors are compassionate, non-judgmental and knowledgeable, and they will address any questions or concerns that you may have about the sex addiction recovery process. Please call today.
Post a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.