Acute Stress and Sex Addiction
If you live with a sexual addiction, stress can play a huge role in furthering your addiction and destructive behaviors. In order to achieve a successful sex addiction recovery, it is vital to gain productive coping strategies to minimize the future risk of relapse.
Can Stress Cause Sex Addiction?
While the causes of sex addiction can vary greatly between individuals, stress can play a significant role in the frequency of addictive behaviors. Added to that, the actual symptoms of sex addiction can also be their own source of continued stress; this all leads to a very destructive cycle of addiction. The following are just a few of the symptoms of sexual addiction that can further add to stress:
- Severe financial struggles can accompany a sex addiction, as many people devote financial resources to their addictions and also find it difficult to hold down a steady job.
- Workplace stress can become a big factor in the addiction. Sex addiction leads to more workplace stress, and the stress will lead to further addictive behavior.
- Friends and family members can be the source of stress and concern, as the addiction escalates. This can lead the addict to turn to increasingly frequent and risky behavior as a means of escaping relationship stress.
With stress being such a routine part of our daily lives, and it also being such a strong trigger for destructive addictive behaviors, it is very important for the addict to seek out professional sex addiction treatment.
How to Control Stress and Sex Addiction
When you receive help for sex addiction, you will also receive guidance and counseling that will help you cope with the triggers for addictive behaviors. This could include the learning the following skills:
- Recognize all triggers of stress, depression, anxiety, and loneliness
- Practice healthy methods of handling triggers
- Strategize ways to avoid triggers
- Reach out for support when you need it
With professional sex addiction treatment, you can learn how to move past your addiction while also learning to cope with life. Some of these coping strategies and methods include the following methods:
- Walking away from your triggers or learning how to better respond to stress. For example, if you are in the midst of an argument with a family member, there are healthy ways of resolving the argument than you returning to addictive behaviors. Your counselors will help you to learn these healthier communication methods.
- Attending support group meetings filled with like-minded people who are also in recovery, and who can serve as your sounding board when you are being tempted to relapse.
- Knowing who you can rely on to help you break from the stress that is leading you to consider relapse. Your network of support is a vital part of your recovery.
Help for Stress and Sex Addiction
Call our toll-free 24 hour helpline in order to discuss your situation with complete confidentiality. Attending a sex addiction rehab will help you to gain back control of your life while also helping you to learn valuable strategies for coping with acute stress. Call us today. We are here to help.
Post a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.